Thursday, February 3, 2011

Seriously?

Jeffrey Brewer

The first very big transition is we’re moving away from the over reliance on the cure as the central part of our message and funding. This does not mean JDRF is any less committed in its focus to find a cure, but we have some work to do in order to get there. And in the meantime, there are many people who will live with diabetes for a relatively long period of time. We have a responsibility and an opportunity to help them live better, healthier, longer, and less stressful lives. And so one of the big changes that we’re undergoing is focusing on improving the lives of people living with diabetes on a day-to-day basis.

I think the cure is different things to different people at different stages of diabetes. I think the only complete cure at the end of the day is you never get diabetes to begin with – it’s probably prevention.

As I said, we’re moving towards a 50-50 split of activities and funding between cure and glucose control/complications


MAYBE BLOGGING WITH HIGH EMOTIONS ISN'T A GOOD THING FOR ME.


DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE SUGAR BOLUS TOMORROW!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to say that I'm jealous of all my blogging peeps that have managed to obtain very cool, cute fonts.

    Moving on....

    I do not believe a cure is possible until everyone who needs insulin is able to access it. I honestly believe that God is in control. Until we respond to the crisis that exists in the global T1 community, wheels will just keep spinning.

    JDRF states that part of their mission is to "improve the lives of people who are living with T1D". I'd venture to say that helping people access insulin who otherwise cannot would go a long way towards improving their lives.

    Insulin was developed almost 100 years ago. Yet this crisis is alive today.

    Or...do we pick and choose who gets "cured" and who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right and I do forget at times that there is a plan bigger than us, and sometimes we just have to have faith that we are okay. It's sad that medical and life sustaining medicine is so hard to get. I'm not going to lie, there are times, where I have had to scrape by letting my health suffer because it's so hard to keep up with the costs.

    I guess my biggest issue, is that illness is a big money maker for other people, and they sure don't pass along the wealth to those who need it most.
    (((HUGS))) to you friend!
    :)

    ReplyDelete