Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good or Bad?

When people see Dexter, they always want to see it up close, and ask questions. This usually doesn't bother me. I like the chance to properly educate people about Type 1 Diabetes. What I DON'T LIKE is when people judge the numbers. It usually starts off with a strange tone of voice with a judgmental ring, "Is that a good blood sugar?" Most of the time yes, sometimes no.
They look at 146 and say: "Well I thought.............. or my grandmas cat is.............".

Seriously?

I am sure you can all relate to what I am going to say....

43 BAD!!!
537 BAD!!!

254, 304, 212 Good?
114, 93, 120 Bad?

Sometimes people don't realize that the numbers can be reversed. Especially while wearing a CGMS. 114 with double down arrows is a BAD number. It means most likely, I will crash or end up with a "correction" headache. 254 is a GOOD number if you have been up all night battling a low or high. Sometimes we take the "bad" because it was better than the "good".

It seems like there is so many misconceptions about diabetes. Wendy and Nicole have recently posted about some HORRID comments made on National TV about "Juvenile Diabetes" (Hello, people quit calling it that YEARS ago. Really Ricki? Not to mention these are shows and comments made by people who are trying to warn people?)

Would it be so hard for advertisers and these shows to educate correctly? I don't think so.

Another day in the never ending struggle of Diabetes......

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Good Witch when I was a little girl. I think it was the dress.

    and I can so relate about people judging the numbers having a little t1 her numbers usually are never perfect or "good". I have had nurses that take care of Cara during the day ask me why here blood sugar was so high at certain parts of the day. I had to explain if they check her shortly after she has eaten her BG will be high. People just don't get it!! and thanks for the link up :)

    ReplyDelete