Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gone....


This was our beautiful backyard..... We spent a long time making trails, and nooks!
We spent a lot of time here playing as kids.
It was like a magical paradise. Trees, plants, animals. How lucky were we!
Although this is NOT a good picture, our home was beautiful! It was like living in a forest.
Only a mile from the beautiful canyon. We sat on this porch at nights in the summer and enjoyed the view! Oh how we loved the thunderstorms in all their glory!
Our backyard was so amazing! It even made doing chores like laundry so much fun!
I just got back from the gaping hole that once held such magic for me, and my eight younger siblings. The holidays, birthdays, and Halloween events. The ups, the downs, and the love. It's so strange. I knew they were destroying it to "fix" the hillside. It was no longer ours, but knowing it was there and driving past it brought back comfort, recalling all the memories. Memories good, and memories bad.

That day, Saturday, July 11, 2009 when I almost lost my whole family to a landslide that killed our three neighbors. It's amazing how you can feel so many emotions at the same time. ANGER that because no one told us there had been landslides there before we moved in. PAIN knowing that my family mourns the loss of their home. SADNESS recalling the events that lead up to the day, because no one would listen to the concerns that something was going on. HORROR recalling that day, remembering the panic, and nightmares. BUT such deep down THANKFULNESS that my family made it out okay. LOVE for the people that were so kind. HOPE that knowing we are stronger than the things we never feel we could deal with.

Life is strange. We may never know why things happen, or whether they happen for a reason, but I do believe I am so blessed. Through the many trails I have faced in this life I have realized that for as cruel as life can be, it is always a million times better!

I am so blessed to have a community of friends, that started out as strangers on my computer. Friends that lift me up when I fall behind. Friends that give me cyber hugs that help me through the day. Friends that are going through mountains of trial, carrying a banner of courage so we all can see. Today through the tears, the joy, the sadness, and the love I just want to say THANK YOU for being you! THANK YOU for being my friend, because in the end, the only thing that matters is the people we LOVE!

Have a great weekend! :)

4 comments:

  1. ((hugs)) wow what a tragic even that your family went through and what a beautiful place to grow up, I can see where mixed emotions would surface each time you think of it or see it. I'm glad your family is all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~ thank you for sharing your story and beautiful pictures. That looks like a place where many memories were made! Thankful that your family is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous backdrop for your childhood Rachael. How many years did you and your family live there? I can only begin to imagine the fun, the imaginary games, the pretending, the chases that went on over that beautiful piece of land. What a bittersweet visit it must have been for you to see the place where your childhood home resided.

    I am so thankful that your family made it out alive during the landslide.

    I too, am thankful for you. You have a sweetness and understanding about you that I truly appreciate. I had no idea when I started blogging almost a year ago that I would make so many wonderful friends here in the DOC.

    (((HUGS))) Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly beautiful place to grow up. BEAUTIFUL. I'm so sorry to hear about the landslide - that sounds horrific but so happy that you and your family were safe.

    ReplyDelete