Monday, November 22, 2010

So Dead....

I'm still battling computer woes. Trying to kinda blog from my phone takes like a day, and no pictures :( I know its because I said I would blog everyday. Why do computers have to break when you're broke.... GRRRR!

I'm doing pretty good with being off the pump. It's a little scary. I'm doing better with creating better eating habits and realizing how grateful I am to have a pump. I've been battling a few fevers so I am off my Dexcom because it doesn't handle Tylenol. I am back to regular finger sticks and getting up at 3:00am.

I am surprised to learn that my long acting insulin dosages have changed, and that carb counts are different when taking insulin vs the pump. I guess I had really never thought of it. It has given me the chance to have "raw" data on things. It's funny because I wonder how I ever kept this up before the pump. It seems so time consuming. I forgot what it is like to write everything down. Even the smallest things like looking through the pump history to check something, is gone.

I have had some super no-no numbers. Some lows, mega highs. It's almost like a science experiment. I think it was a good thing. I think the pump has commiserated with my problem of wanting to much a homemade roll when I get stressed. It makes me think about whether or not I am actually hungry, and what I am eating. Defiantly no more grazing.

I realize this is not a new problem and I did this when I was on MDI alone. It's just funny how the journey back makes you realize things you never knew.

I AM SO THANKFUL for the advances in modern medicine. And yet.... IT's sad to know that with even things like pumps, and CGMS being diabetic and caring for diabetics is not easy.

I recently read that "they" are predicting that in 25 years as many as 1 in 3 people will have diabetes! I can only imagine what could be causing this. It's these stories too that create "prejudices" and ignorances when living or caring for someone who is Type 1.

There has got to be a cure! I can only pray that it is found soon! So many people suffering, both Type 1 and 2.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving week! I haven't been able to comment on people's blogs form my phone, but I am keeping up on all the news! You D Mamas and PWD are AMAZING and doing wonderful things to make our voices heard! I am so thankful to all of you! You keep me going when things get rough!

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. We're still on shots, so I know what you mean about thinking before eating and having to write everything down.

    I hope the fevers disappear and you feel better soon!

    Computer problems are SO frustrating. I'm having computer woes, too. I think I need to break down and buy a new one. I'm praying for a good Black Friday deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine! We have been off of shots for over a year and I can't imagine going back. Kuddos to you though for making the tough decision and sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you for recognizing a behavior pattern and taking the initiative to make SUCH a major decision in order to overcome it.

    What the EFF is my problem then? I've gained 50lbs since my celiac dx last year!

    Hope the computer thing gets worked out STAT!

    ReplyDelete