Tuesday, November 9, 2010

6 Things you should know about D

Its not easy being "D"

1. YOUR BODY JUST FREAKS OUT SOMETIMES, AND YOU ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO EVERYTHING!!!
Perfect example.... THIS WEEKEND! I caught a nasty cold that set off an array of nasty side effects, that cost me the whole weekend and a day of work. I was so miserable, I literally slept for 3 days straight, and had to drag my half dead body to work today. NOT FUN!! While everyone else catches the "24 hour flu" I get the "3 week in-the-hospital variety". Diabetes make it so you can't fend off the same virus other people have!

2. LIVE A "NEAR NORMAL" LIFE MY A$$!
I am sure who ever made this comment didn't have DIABETES! It is an all consuming disease that is present 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year! YOU NEVER GET A BREAK!

3. IT IS AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE.
I didn't do ANYTHING to deserve this. It just happened.

4. IF I DIET IT'S NOT GOING AWAY!!!!!!
I didn't get it from being fat!! It makes dieting a bear, and it's harder to loose weight!

5. TAKING SHOTS, PRICKING YOUR FINGERS, AND CHANGING SITES ALWAYS HURTS!
Just because I do it all the time, doesn't mean ticking a sharp metal object doesn't hurt any less! I just know it's the ONLY way to survive, so I do it! INSULIN IS NOT A CURE!

6. I MIGHT NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT BUT.......
I'm tired, sick, and it's really not fair. I *WASTE* hundreds of dollars, hours, and tears just fighting to get up and start my day. It sucks, and I hate it. You can doll it all up by talking about how blessed you are, thankful for the opportunity and friends you have made because of it, and how strong it has made you..... BUT........ TAKING IT FOR WHAT IT IS, YOU WOULDN'T WISH IT ON YOUR WORST ENEMY! It's horrible, and having a good attitude is the only way you can make it work! That and good friends and supporters.

Yeah, not such a happy tune, but it is what it is.......


6 comments:

  1. Number 2 is my favorite!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...I love you! I hope you are feeling better. I was worried about you...didn't see a post for a couple of days!!! Now I know why. Get a ton of rest dear, sweet, wonderful YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Rachael! #2 SO TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate this transparency. It does suck....and, sometimes, I'm tired of everyone acting like it doesn't suck.

    #5 strikes a chord in my heart....I HATE it when people assume Sugar is immune to painful pokes.

    It just sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always appreciate your perspective as an adult with diabetes. This was a great list!

    #5 hit me too. It's hard to think that the very thing I do to enable my son to survive hurts him.

    ReplyDelete