Wednesday, September 22, 2010

MY FIRST POST!!




This is Mayzi. She is one of my friend's daughters. I love that she LOVES Pumpsley.
I AM very glad she doesn't have to have one, although she disagrees! :)

I am so excited to post my first post. I have been meaning to for so long but never have. I guess it's okay if no one reads it, I guess most of all sometimes it just helps to "get it out".

I am a 30 year old Type 1 Diabetic. I was diagnosed in February 1998, but had many problems since I was younger, of course always being told "It was hormones." Yeah it WAS hormones, just not the ones they were thinking of. When I went to the doctor and had a BS of 561, they changed their minds.

I have been on an insulin pump for 2 years and that has been a bag of mixed emotions. Some people have said they LOVE their pumps, and for the most part, I love mine, but there are times I hate it too. I just started with a new Dexcom. I tried it awhile back, but insurance didn't cover it, so I stopped for a while. Now, I LOVE MY DEXCOM, DEXTER! I will admit sometimes the BS readings are WAY off but just having the ability to trend my BS is amazing, and makes like so much easier. The downside of all this wonderful technology is having so many things that have to be in you, or on you at all times. It makes life a little frustrating at times. I would NEVER wear a fanny pack. It would defiantly not improve my figure. I have started making "pump clothes" and it has been very successful. I make them with pockets and button holes for tubing and such. I have got adventurous and started making them for the seasons and holidays. They are comfy and makes it easy as my job is so physically demanding. I mean come on, nothing is worse than trying to help a poor Grandfriend that has fallen in the hall, and catching tubing on their foot ripping out your infusion set and adding to the mess. Or... having it fall out and get run over by the bus! Yeah.... No....Comment. :)

I work at a retirement community as the Recreation Therapy Director. I LOVE my job. It's like having 80 Grandparents! It can sometimes be pretty stressful, but all the great times we have make up for that.

I enjoy lots of things. I like animals, and my boyfriend lets me have a farm at his house, because we can't have animals at mine. It's like being a farmer (kind of). We have 5 chickens (Miss Cheap, Alice, Thumbelina, Hickety & Peckety) , 2 bunnies (Reggie &Buddy) , and a Sebastopol Goose named Lucy, that is pretty much our "bratty teenage daughter". I love "cute" things, and I think you are never too old to love the same things that you loved when you are little! That includes stuffed sheep, glitter, and things that are pink!

I am the oldest of 9 kids, and have loved every moment of it! At my house I am known as Nanny! Even though they are all grown up, they still call me that, or the cooler version "Nanster". Our family runs a Haunted Attraction called: "Dead's End". How awesome is that! See the link, it's a cool website. There is also one for my Grandfriends, and Farm!

I am just trying to live life. I have had many health problems, and deal with many everyday. The one thing I have learned is that everyday is truly a gift, and through it all I have met wonderful people, and learned lessons that some people will never learn.

Everyone have a wonderful day, I sure am!


2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog. Welcome to the diabetes online community! It's nice to "meet" you. My seven-year-old son was diagnosed with T1D in 2007 at the age of 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, our Dexcom is named "Dexter" too - LOL. If you are the working-out type Tallygear does have an awesome pump pack, that keeps the pump and dexter close to your body...with clear windows even so that you can see dexter's data feed etc.

    Love your positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete