Sunday, September 26, 2010

How Low Can You Go?

Twelve! Yes, that's right, 12! (Sorry, it's kinda long)

A Strange beginning. . . .
A few years back, my parents adopted a new cat. They already ha another cat, and lets just say, "CAT FIGHT!" One day, the cats were fighting really bad, and before I knew that YOU SHOULD NEVER BREAK UP A CAT FIGHT, I did just that. When I intervened, the new cat latched onto my hand, grasping me with both teeth and claws. I was startled, and washed the scratch. It didn't look bad. I just went about the rest of my day. It wasn't too painful until about two day later. By then my hand was completely swelled up! I went to the doctor who started me on oral antibiotics, and after things got worse over the next 5 days. He then gave me injection antibiotics, but as I later found out, it was WAY too late. The infection was spread half way up my arm, and it was in the bone. I was sent to the hospital for IV antibiotics, and surgery (called incision and drainage). I went through this cycle for 2 1/2 months. They never did an MRI, so they didn't realize it was in the bone, and thats why it wasn't healing. I was eventually told I was probably going to loose my right hand, and at the very least my thumb. I was to travel 80 miles away to start hyperbaric (spelling ?) oxygen therapy s a last ditch effort and go on IV medicine that was so powerful, I was going to be on the Oncology floor. ( The medicine made all my hair fall out). It was a pretty crazy time. My Mum couldn't be there all the time so most of it was spent by myself.

"That Day"
I had been there 3 days AND NOTHING WAS WORKING! I was at the end of the hall on the Oncology Floor, last room, and although I had mentioned I had felt strange, I think the nurses, chalked it up to me being sick and not BS problems. They were managing all my insulin, and BS readings. I would call down to have them check it, and they said there was no need for 6-10x a day like I was used to. It was around shift change, and I was sweating . . . . really bad. I felt dizzy and called the nurse. I CNA came down and checked it and it was "low" but in a "normal" range, 78, is "normal" I guess. I asked them to come back and check, because I wasn't feeling right. Well, Guess what? THEY FORGOT ABOUT ME!!! yeah, skinkin' forgot to come back! By then, I felt paralyzed, I couldn't move, and my heart was pounding so hard I thought I was going to die. I don't know how long I was like that, but it seemed like forever! I remember someone coming in and talking to me but I couldn't talk. I tried to move, but that didn't work either. I remember them calling a "code" because it blaring all over the hall. About 10 people came running in with syringes of something called D50. They were testing my BS and I remember as clear as day, a man say, "Oh my God, her BS is 12!" I kept looking at him, trying to tell him, I knew what was going on, and the funny part was, one of the doctors kept talking to me, and I remember someone answering, "I am sure she is unconscious, especially since she was seizing earlier." ARE YOU KIDDING, I am awake and I hear you! After 2 amps of the D50 I was up in the 60's and starting to talk. The only thing I could think of was, I just almost died, and my family is far away, what would've they said to my Mum when they called her?

Later that night I told the nurse that I was aware of everything that was going on, her pretty much called me a liar, until I told her what people were wearing and what they had said. She was shocked, and said she had no idea, because they had learned different in school.

Everything settled down, and I was eventually moved to the University Hospital the next morning, who did an MRI, found out the infection was in the bone, and saved my hand and my life! (In less than 2 weeks, after this had been going on for 5 months!)

I think a lot of people learned a very valuable lessons with all this including me.....

#1 If doctors aren't meeting your needs GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, before they kill you!

#2 Just because doctors & nurses learn stuff in school, doesn't mean that applies to everyone, because every person's "normal" is different. I already knew that, after being in the field 10 years. I think most nurses know this too, because they are the ones down in the trenches helping and speaking for patients. 90% of nurses really care, and it is the crappy ones that are the exception.

#3 If you have to go to the hospital, TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN INSULIN, AND BS CHECKING NEEDS! You may have to fight them on it, but you are the expert when it comes to taking care of your own D needs!

I guess what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. Despite everything, life is good!

I don't post stuff like this for attention, because that is not what I am looking for. I post it because these are things no one tells you! It's the hard lessons of D life, I hope other people don't have to experience. Especially to all the moms and Dads who diligently battle for what's best for their kids!

YOU ARE MY HEROS!

Have a great day!
Rachael

1 comment:

  1. What an experience!!! Thank goodness for that D50 and that MRI!

    The message of this post is so important. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete