Saturday, September 25, 2010

Dexter Saved My Life


I have a problem with LOWS. . . . don't know I am low until I am in the 50's. Most lows happen at night, and by the time I know I am low, I can hardly function enough to correct it.

Last night about 3:00am, I woke up and heard a beep. I am now on oxygen at night because of my Pulmonary Hypertension (A heart condition, that causes lung problems), so I assumed (yeah, I know) it was the oxygen concentrator and went back to sleep. The only part I remember was waking up to loud continually beeping. My hands were shaking and I was covered in sweat, I reached for Dexter and it said 40. I grabbed my meter and after taking about 7 mins to check my BS, I found out I was 32. I searched for something, but to no avail. I practically crawled to the kitchen, and managed to find juice. I fell asleep in the kitchen and woke up about 15 mins. later. My BS was up to 62 by then. I couldn't believe that had happened. I checked Dexter, and sure enough out of the middle of no where there was a huge drop for no reason. You can see in the picture how fast the whole thing happened. Matter of fact, its hard to see it in the picture. (Talk about a yucky headache!)

I am just so blessed that Dexter woke me up, and I was able to do something. When you have scary moments like this, it makes you feel happy that technology has been able to advance this far. DEXTER I LOVE YOU! THANKS for saving my life, and brain cells! I have been freaked out ever since I have read that lows cause brain damage, and can lead to memory loss, and Alzheimer's disease later in life. I already have a crappy memory!

On a lighter note, I had the best nachos tonight with my friends! It was awesome, and thanks to Pumpsley, my BS only got up to 145 and stayed below that for 3 hours. Oh how I LOVE being able to change bolus rates to cover naughty foods! Life is good!!!

Happy Weekend!

6 comments:

  1. SCARY!!! on the low...sorry. Joe is like that sometimes. I like how you tell us how it is. That is the part I am always curious about, what the heck does it feel like?! It is hard to get that out of my busy 7 year old boy.

    I heart.heart.heart nachos...ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it. My daughter is never growing up and never living away from me. OMGsh!!!!! I seriously just nearly had a heart attack!!!

    We had to use Glucagon for the first time in 5 years last weekend.

    I'd love to hear more about the other health stuff...are any of them related to T1?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    You sound like my mum. Even though I have only lived away from home for 2 years, my Mum ALWAYS said: "What if you go low in the night?" I always reassured her that I got up at 3:00am to check because that was time I struggled with. I have always been good about getting up to check.

    Now that I have Dexter I sleep better, because it's not always on my mind. I LOVE it too because it makes my job so much easier, I work as a Recreation Therapist/CNA at a retirement community, so there is always a lot of running around.
    I wear a lot of hats, and nothing can drop your BS like a good adrenaline rush while responding to fallen resident. I never knew how much Dexter could help, its well worth the money I pay, even just for the trend.

    Reyna-
    I will post about my lowest BS ever, 12. Despite popular belief it's a lot different then what people think.

    Thanks for reading, and for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh...I just came back to see the comment feed and I can only imagine your mom's angst of letting you move out. At times, I joke and say I am going to bunk with Joe in college unless the closed-loop system is on the market. hehe.

    Thank you for the insight and I look forward to more, as a parent of a type 1 and not a type 1 myself I feel like I am missing part of the picture...does that make sense? I just want to understand the in's and out's to the best of my capability in order to parent him the best way I know how without causing too much psychological damage - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reyna, You are awesome, and although I admit, I give my Mum crap about it, I always appreciate that she cares, and mostly I worry about how my disease worries her and what implications it has in her life, even though I am an adult.

    There's no "psychological damage" that can happen from a caring mom!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Reyna. As a mom, who doesn't have T1D herself, and who doesn't want to psychologically damage her son :), I'm eager to hear more from you. Your blog helps parents like us! Thank you for blogging and sharing your stories with us!

    I want a Dexter!!!

    ReplyDelete